Schwarzberg & Associates announces Employment Law Seminar Series to be hosted in Palm Beach Gardens and West Palm Beach.
2007 Employment Law Seminar Series
All events from 7:45 a.m. to 9:15 a.m Approved for CLE credit
Our Employment Law Group’s attorneys will offer presentations on the following key areas employers are coping with in today’s workforce:
April 24th: Palm Beach Gardens 26th: West Palm Beach
WHAT EMPLOYERS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT RETENTION
- Employers need to have a data retention policy for electronically stored information – and follow it What kind of documents do employers need to retain, and for how long?
- What obligations do employers have in responding to e-discovery, and who bears the costs?
- Failure to disclose data or comply with discovery can have dire consequences in litigation
- How can confidential files, customer databases, or proprietary information be protected?
May 22nd: Palm Beach Gardens 24th: West Palm Beach
HURRICANES: MANAGING THROUGH THE STORMS
- Applicability of laws protecting disaster-relief workers
- Termination of employees unable or unwilling to return when your business reopens
- To pay or not to pay employees when the business is closed, or to charge employees’ PTO accounts
- Business interruption insurance may not be as safe a harbor as you think
June 26th: Palm Beach Gardens 28th: West Palm Beach
FLSA AND OVERTIME: ONCE EXEMPT, ALWAYS EXEMPT?
- Proactive ways to try to preserve employees’ exempt status
- Documenting accurate job descriptions
- Monitoring actual job performance
- Docking wages, imposing progressive discipline issues, Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Strategies for minimizing the risk of costly litigation
September 25th: Palm Beach Gardens 27th: West Palm Beach
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IN THE WORKPLACE: YOUR MOST IMPORTANT (AND LEAST-PROTECTED) ASSET
- Drafting non-compete agreements
- Misappropriation of trade secrets
- Crafting effective workplace technology policies
- Protecting the confidentiality of your data
- Responding to blogs, spoofing, chat rooms, cybersquatters and trademark infringers
October 23rd: Palm Beach Gardens 25th: West Palm Beach
TRAINING AND POLICIES: AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION CAN BE WORTH A POUND OF CURE
- An employee manual or handbook alone isn’t enough
- The nuts and bolts of an effective training program
- Is your training program up to date?
- How you can have policies that are known, implemented, and enforced
- Integration of policies, training and their effective application